The History of Memorial Regional Health
How we came to be who we are today
In 1946, a group of concerned Craig citizens banded together in an effort to build a local hospital through fundraising and a Hill-Burton grant. They were successful and The Memorial Hospital on Tucker Street was dedicated in November, 1949. In 1952, the hospital was deeded to the citizens of Moffat County, making it a county-owned hospital.
Through the years, the facility was added to in square footage as well as services. It became apparent that the facility was no longer workable as a hospital. The idea of building a new hospital was put up to vote with Moffat County residents in 2007. They voted in support of the hospital, and a new hospital was built at 750 Hospital Loop and was dedicated November 9, 2009. The “old” hospital became the current Memorial Regional Health Medical Clinic housing hospital-employed physicians, physician assistants and traveling specialists.
A plan is in place to build a new medical office building, as the original hospital is showing its age and doesn’t accommodate modern medical practices of the Clinic team. The hope is to start building in 2018. The old hospital was a solid foundation for what the health system has become today.